"Based on the graphic novel by Brian Ralph, the subversive dark comedy Daybreak finds 17 year old high school outcast Josh searching for his missing girlfriend Sam in post-apocalyptic Glendale, California. Joined by a ragtag group of misfits including a pyromaniac 10 year old Angelica and Josh's former high school bully Wesley, now turned pacifist samurai, Josh tries to stay alive amongst the horde of Mad Max-style gangs (evil jocks, cheerleaders turned Amazon warriors), zombie-like creatures called Ghoulies, and everything else this brave new world throws at him."
- Colin Ford as Josh Wheeler
- Alyvia Alyn Lind as Angelica
- Sophie Simnett as Samaira Dean
- Austin Crute as Wesley Fists
- Gregory Kasyan as Eli Cardashyan
- Krysta Rodriguez as Ms. Crumble
- Cody Kearsley as Turbo Bro Jock
- Jeanté Godlock as Mona Lisa
- Matthew Broderick as Burr
- Aron Eli Coleite (co-creator / showrunner / executive producer)
- Brad Peyton (co-creator / director / executive producer)
- Jeff Fierson (NW / EP)
- Ira Madison III (writer)
- Michael J. Malone (producer)
- Kate Herron (director)
|"Josh vs. the Apocalypse: Part 1"|
|Sure, Los Angeles is now a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but it's not all bad. In fact, for C-student survivor Josh Wheeler, it's a big improvement.|
| "Schmuck Bait!"
|Josh, Angelica and Wesley take refuge in a pristine mall, match wits with its annoying "owner" and cross paths with a familiar witch.|
|"The Slime Queenpin of Glendale, CA"|
|What makes Angelica tick, tick, tick? The misunderstood child sociopath with a heart of gold breaks it down while searching for antibiotics for Josh.|
|Josh vows to avenge a death he's been tricked into believing. Principal Burr sheds a little light on one of his more difficult students.|
|"Homecoming Redux or My So Called Stunt Double Life"|
|Imagining his legacy as narrated by RZA, Wesley plans a homecoming dance while Eli campaigns for the crown and Angelica tries to set up Josh.|
|As Turbo and Mona Lisa search for the traitor to their tribe, Josh and KJ venture into the wilds, and Angelica navigates a milestone on her own.|
|"Canta Tu Vida"|
|Josh boots Wesley, Eli and Angelica from the mall after learning the truth about Sam. Also, Crumble searches for her truth -- and something to eat.|
| "Post Mates"
|Before the apocalypse hits, Josh and Sam ditch school for the day. However, their plan for romance and relaxation doesn't work out the way they expect.|
| "Josh vs. the Apocalypse: Part 2"
|As Josh and Eli head back to the high school for very different reasons, Principal Burr lays down the law and seeks help from the smart kids.|
|Can Principal Burr be defeated? Are Josh and Sam truly meant to be? And what exactly is Crumble, anyway? It's epic conclusion time.|
- On July 26, 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a ten-episode first season. Aron Eli Coleite was set to serve as showrunner for the series. The series is created by Brad Peyton and Coleite who are credited as executive producers alongside Jeff Fierson. ASAP Entertainment will be involved in the production of the series.
- In October 2018, it was announced that Matthew Broderick would star in the series. In the same month, it was reported that Colin Ford, Alyvia Alyn Lind, Sophie Simnett, Austin Crute, Gregory Kasyan, Krysta Rodriguez, Cody Kearsley and Jeante Godlock joined the cast.
- Principal photography for the first season took place on location in Albuquerque, New Mexico from November 2018 to April 2019.
- Colin Ford was previously in Supernatural. Samaira Dean could be a reference to Sam and Dean Winchester on Supernatural.